Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Getting a 5 year old to study

With Matt’s Q4 assessment coming up, it’s time for us to do serious reviews with him, especially since I’ve been receiving notes after notes from the teacher with his unfinished work from school and his challenges. For the past quarterly exams, the reviews were simple. But now that they’re learning how to read and do math, it’s difficult to become creative and not bore him to death.


Thank God for internet! I was actually looking for stories online for pre-schools that he could read to me. Stories with the following families:
_at _an _op _it _ig _ot

I came across this website http://www.starfall.com/ which had different online activities for reading. It included the phonetics which helped him learn to read other words. I haven’t seen my little boy so excited to identify and read words!


Another good one is http://www.softschool.com/. We had a few challenges with math, which frustrated him. It was tough adding two numbers that were more than 5. He said he didn't have enough fingers on each hand. But he’s gotten the hang of being able to add numbers more than 5. By doing the exercises online, he’s beginning to memorize the answers.



He’s enjoying these online educational activities and it’s made things more easier for me and Dennis. What’s funny is when we come home in the evening, instead of asking if he can play Wii, he’d say, “Can I study on the laptop?"


I think it’s great that his attitude to learning is positive. And as parents, it’s our responsibility to ensure that it’s a fun experience so that he can continue to look forward to learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...