Thursday, February 24, 2011

Teaching Math


Being a super mom is a tough job! After coming home from a challenging day at work and getting a note from the teacher gives me no rest. I'm staring at a worksheet with a lot of additions. Some were actually hard. Do they teach 5 year olds 9+8 already? Or 10+7? I thought only simple math which equals to a single digit but NO! Answers more than 10 is hard especially with kids depending on their fingers...unless they start counting their toes, too.
So to help my son, I had him imagine that each number had an imaginary dot.


1 would have 1 dot in the middle
2 would have 2 dots, 1 at each point
3 would have 3 dots, 1 at each point
...etc.
Instead of counting his fingers and toes, all he had to do was count the imaginary dots on each number. It's working so far. You may want to try the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...