Sunday, March 10, 2013

Riding crossroads

When I started riding, I've had my heart set in show jumping. Watching it, either on TV or during a show, is really exciting. You read horse quotes that the feeling of going over jumps is the closest to actually flying. I kid you not but this is true. 

My lessons have focused on flat works after the refusal incident (as I previously posted). It's been very helpful and I have been enjoying it, though I am totally sore from all those sitting trots and posting trots without stirrups. Sit deep, sit deep, sit deep. Imagine how sore I was afterwards but I'm sure it did wonders to getting me toned and fit :o)

Then I was asked, would I prefer to do dressage instead? It's an option, but it never crossed my mind. I have nothing against dressage. I don't think it's any less exciting as jumping. The movement of the horse is dependent on how the rider will get him/her to change gaits effectively with precision. You must have the perfect form. That ain't me. I'm not exactly that type of a rider, though I strive to be. Feeling the right lead is still a problem for me. I need to look to check rather than feel. I don't think I'd be graceful in the ring and my circles might look like ovals or whatever.

At least in jumping, I won't need to look so put together (if that's a good way of describing it). But that's the problem. All my confidence going over jumps seemed to have vanished and Trojan feels it when I get tensed. Or I get tensed because she gets excited. I need to work on this.

So for now, I will be open minded about dressage. Who knows, right?

V on Max - Dressage Clinic with Grand Prix Rider Guillaume Ducos

Matt on Woody. Not sure if he was pretending to be holding a polo stick.



Toni's turn




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...