Saturday, November 22, 2014

El Kabayo's Horsefest 2014

It's been 7 months since my last entry. I've been more active on Instagram so feel free to follow iamasupermommy

I recently attended the Horsefest in Clark and as you know, the equestrian/horse riding opportunities in the Philippines are very limited. Activities, clinics and competitions in Manila are mostly done, if not all, in the Manila Polo Club. I've been confined to riding in the stables where I ride, Pook Ligaya Stables, and had the chance to ride a few times in MPC for the annual Jump Club and a horse jumping clinic. I was curious about the Horsefest when I heard about it last year but missed it due to schedule conflict. I almost forgot about it until I recently visited Marikina Equestrian Center to drop off some items and got invited by one of the grooms to attend and watch since they were participating. Luckily, we were free that weekend.


It was a 2 day event with activities that included both English and Western riding. The owner of El Kabayo is Sheriff Gabby La O. A very nice and friendly guy. Prior to driving out to the event, he sent me the registration form and list of activities for the Horsefest, if I wanted to take part. Perhaps next year. 

It was great to see all types of riders -  the young ones, the young at heart, grooms, anyone who could ride and hold onto the horse, can equally compete. Horses from Baguio, Manila and Subic were brought to the event by their riders. It was so nice to see a number of riders from MEC. The sport is growing and I am more than thrilled to see more people wanting to learn to ride, which develops the love for horses and eventually, the love for animals. We need more people to care, you know.

The activities were fun to watch and had us laughing when some of the riders had to rent horses and were left with the tiny Baguio horses, which they couldn't get to canter. It was an awesome event to have all horse enthusiasts together and just have a good time. Such a relaxed and friendly environment that you'd think everyone knew each other.   

Please support this event as it gives all riders the opportunity to show and practice their skills in the different activities/disciplines of riding. It builds confidence and encourages them to do better. You also get to learn from other riders, too. We all dream of one day being able to compete like the calibre riders of the country and again, this is a great opportunity. Perhaps the Baguio ponies can also aim  to compete in the Hunter competition along with the thoroughbreds. A horsey person or not, you'll have a great time. We'll definitely be back next year.

Photo credit, my sister in law. Didn't really have the chance to to take pictures because I was busy watching :)












9 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know there were events like this in Clark. The last time I rode a horse pa was in Tagaytay and that was 5 years ago. I'd have to take Jacob to ride one too. These people are really good riders to be able to make those jumps! Scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I meant to reply to your comment (and thanks!) but ended up commenting separately.

      Delete
  2. Hi Roxy. If you're within QC, you can ride at Pook Ligaya Stables. Beautiful stable with lovely horses. They even have a small one for the kids. I'm sure your son would love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is cool. Pero I am afraid of horses. I dont know why. I don't have any bad experience naman with them. Weird nga! But this one looks cool. Parang ang lakas maka-Mikee Conjuangco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's understandable that many are scared of horses because of their size, I guess, but they are super loveable!

      Delete
  4. This is such a nice event! I remember reading in my FB timeline about horse fighting somewhere in Mindanao and it's making me feel sad. I hope nothing like that in this event?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! They have horses fight? That's sad and just horrible! In this event nothing of such. Just riders and horses having fun :)

      Delete
  5. I didn't know such events exists here. Well, I'm not really that familiar with horses and horseback riding but I would like to see a show/event like this some time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...